Sunday, February 10, 2013 ~
What is Presence? (An Inquiry…)
For me, if there is one skill underlying all of the others presented in these pathways to liberation, it is presence. Without presence, we can not deliberately engage the other skills because we lack real-time awareness; similarly, the practice of the other skills support the cultivation of presence. Presence is the foundational skill of maintaining moment by moment awareness of our unique personal human experience. With insufficient presence, our “aliveness” falters and suffering results... (continues)
Jim Manske‘s Suggestions ~
Here are the elements of a practice you can use to cultivate more presence for yourself:
- Set an intention to become more present. Contemplate why presence is important to you.
- Focus your attention on something specific. For example, you could use your breath or watch the second hand moving around the clock face or the seconds changing on a digital watch.
- Notice that in spite of your intention, your attention is likely to wander. Simply notice that your attention wanders, and gently refocus on the object of your attention.
- Become aware of the clues of absence. How can you notice your mind has wandered? Noticing the wandering mind can become a gentle reminder to return to presence.
- Continue this exercise for 5 to 20 minutes.
- Complete the exercise by considering what you learned through your practice.
As you develop your presence “muscle”, you can try this exercise in almost any context. For example, you can try it while watching TV, attending a movie, in the midst of conversation, or any other common activity.
Part of a series:
- Presence (Part 1): What are Reactive Patterns?
- Presence (Part 2): Dissolving Reactive Patterns With Attention
- Presence (Part 3): Uprooting Reactive Patterns Through Insight
- Presence (Part 4): What is Presence?
Above links are the work of Jacob Gotwals.
“A new kind of mind thus begins to come into being which is based on the development of a common meaning that is constantly transforming in the process of the dialogue.”
~ David Bohm
FYI ~ Cultivating Presence Resource:
A free monthly gathering Meditation for Evolutionaries, a live virtual meditation event that brings together participants from around the world